In combination with The Advia Foundation, Advia funded sponsorships, scholarships, grants and other charitable donations.
PARCHMENT, Michigan, Jan. 5, 2022 – Advia Credit Union announced today that during 2021, it committed nearly $257,000 in area donations, sponsorships, business memberships, scholarships and grants as a credit union and through its charitable arm, The Advia Foundation.
Advia has a longstanding commitment to contributing to the financial well-being and thriving spirit of the communities it serves. The Advia Foundation, incorporated in 2014, acts as the umbrella under which Advia Credit Union centralizes its scholarships, grants and other charitable donations.
“We’re proud to play an important role in the communities where we operate, and to have The Advia Foundation as a conduit for giving back to the communities we serve across Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois,” said Cheryl DeBoer, president and CEO of Advia. “During these challenging times, it’s more important than ever to lift each other up, and it’s been gratifying to see the positive effects of these contributions reverberate across our area. We see our community involvement and our charitable efforts as yet another way of fulfilling our mission of providing financial advantages to members and our communities.”
During 2021, Advia committed a total of $81,833 to its communities through donations, scholarships and Advancing Lives Grants. That amount includes:
- $30,333 donated to 21 community organizations,
$1,000 youth scholarships awarded to 29 graduating high school seniors, and $22,500 awarded to eight organizations in Advancing Lives Grants, which fund individuals and 501(c)(3) organizations that help advance lives in its communities — consistent with the People Helping People philosophy of credit unions.
“Home of the Sparrow is very grateful for The Advia Foundation's Advancing Lives Grant. The $2,500 provided positively impacted the lives of more than 35 women and their children who found safety and healing in the Home of the Sparrow Transitional Shelter,” said Kristin Miller, grants manager at the Illinois-based nonprofit Home of the Sparrow. “Now, more than ever, Home of the Sparrow's shelter and supportive case management services are needed to help clients navigate their way out of homelessness in the midst of a pandemic, volatile job and economic climate, and significant shortage of affordable housing. Thanks to the support of The Advia Foundation's Advancing Lives Grant, 91% of clients in the transitional shelter exited to positive housing destinations, on their way to a brighter, self-sufficient future.”
Advia was also active during 2021 in bringing its name into its area communities via marketing events, sponsorships and PR initiatives. During the year, it committed a total of $175,000 to 88 marketing events and community sponsorships and 15 business memberships. In addition, Advia’s team members used nearly 250 company-paid ACTION Hours to volunteer in their communities and attend community events on behalf of Advia.
The Advia Foundation raises funds through a number of channels:
- Tax-deductible donations: Advia accepts donations from residents of Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois through its Advia Foundation website.
- New member dealer partner contributions: Many participating auto dealerships contribute $5 to The Advia Foundation each time a new member joins Advia via an indirect vehicle loan. During 2021, dealer partner donations exceeded $16,000.
- Advia Credit Union: Advia donates regularly to The Advia Foundation within the allowed contribution levels.
- Amazon Smiles: The Advia Foundation is a registered charitable organization with smile.amazon.com. When registered shoppers select The Advia Foundation as their recipient organization, Amazon donates 0.5% of each purchase amount to The Advia Foundation.
- Advia team contributions: Throughout the year, Advia regularly offers team members methods to donate to The Advia Foundation via payroll contribution and other one-time donation considerations. During 2021, Advia’s team raised $9,000 toward donations to the Advia Foundation.
Advia Credit Union’s mission is to provide financial advantages to its members. With over $2.6 billion in assets, Advia seeks to provide quick and easy access to money and time-saving financial tools to nearly 190,000 members in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Advia’s team of over 500 professionals delivers excellent service and innovative products at 29 locations and via digital and mobile platforms. Advia is guided by its core values: driving progress, acting with integrity, building, and strengthening relationships, and keeping people at the core. Visit adviacu.org to learn more about how Advia provides Real Advantages for Real People™.